Morristown fire department says blaze caused by match tossed in trash

0

Wednesday night’s fire on Wetmore Avenue, which displaced tenants from three apartments, is believed to have been caused by a match carelessly tossed in a garbage can, Morristown Fire Capt. Jon Prachthauser said on Thursday.

The match had been used to light a candle, he said.

The third-floor fire at 49 Wetmore, which is being considered accidental, caused “significant damage” to one-and-a-half rooms along with smoke damage to the entire third floor and water damage on the second floor, the captain said.

He said the landlord was working out temporary housing arrangements with tenants. It’s up to the town building department when the structure can be reoccupied, the captain said. Firefighters had to break third-floor windows to vent smoke. For residents downstairs, it would feel “like there’s no roof,” he said.

firefighter emerge from wetmore fire morristown
Morristown firefighters emerge from third-story fire on Wetmore Avenue on Wednesday night. Photo by Kevin Coughlin
[interactive_copyright_notice float='left']
[icopyright_horizontal_toolbar float='right']

LEAVE A REPLY

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.