Video playlist: Are you in the starting pack? Top finishers, too.
By Kevin Coughlin
With Sunday’s temperatures in the balmy 40s, one would anticipate plenty of competition in the Polar Bear category of the annual Pre-Game 4-Miler road race in Morristown.
But only four runners out of 1,000 stripped down to the bare necessities.
“I was sweaty,” said Aya Leitz, who ran in a blonde wig and a “Scottish cheerleader” ensemble. She finished second in the popular vote–again–to her Speedo-clad husband, Karl Leitz, who sprinted with a “D” for Defense and little more.
Year five of this pre-Super Bowl race through Morristown and Morris Township went smoothly, according to co-organizer Chris Russo of Superhero Events.
“I like this event because there are not many races this time of year,” Russo said.
Here are the winners, and their times, according to Compuscore:
- Michael Jordan (no not that one); 24, of High Bridge, 20:23.66, pace: 5:05
- Stephen Mennitt, 26, North Brunswick, 20:43:53, pace: 5:10
- Alex Hall, 17, Westfield, 22:21.34, pace: 5:35
- Greta Sieve, 28, Trenton, 23:42.50, pace: 5:55
- Hollie Sick, 25, Cherry Hill, 24:47.37, pace: 6:11
- Erika Meling, 26, North Brunswick, 25:11.36, pace: 6:17
And congratulations to three winners in the over-80 division:
- Bill Welsh, 86, Staten Island, 1:28:47.41, pace: 22:12
- Diane Stone, 84, Chatham, 1:06:01.65, pace: 16:30
- Shirley Pettijohn, 82, Chatham, 1:06:04.25, pace: 16:31
And our thanks to MG contributor Katharine Boyle for this slideshow: