Candle suspected in Morris Township fire, police say

An unattended citronella candle may be to blame for an early morning fire in Morris Township, according to Police Capt. Robert Duffy.

Morris Township police logoNo injuries were reported at the Bradwahl Drive residence, where the homeowner used a garden hose to contain the backyard blaze until the Township fire department arrived, at 2:45 am on Aug. 19, 2014.

A crackling noise had awakened the homeowner, Capt. Duffy said in a statement.

Exterior siding and a window in the back of the residence were damaged, along with plastic patio chairs and a patio prep station.  The preliminary investigation points to the candle as the probable cause of the fire, the officer said.

Township police and firefighters were assisted by the Madison Fire Department Rapid Intervention Team and the Morris Minute Men.



Speak Your Mind

*