A year later, the enormity of Superstorm Sandy still is hard to process. What sticks with me is the random fury of the thing. If you’re in the wrong place at the wrong time, so long, it’s been good to know you.
Greater Morristown felt like The Revenge of the Trees. Lovely symbols of tranquility suddenly conspired to get even for every cabinet, rocking chair and baseball bat.
I remember weariness. Flashlights. Soup kitchens. Warming stations. Gas lines.
And a roof.
Wrong place, wrong time…almost.
It peeled off the Morris County Courthouse like a tin toupee. Scarcely visible in the dark horizontal rain, this iron shadow heaved upwards and pitched forward in slow motion, landing with a frightful junkyard clatter onto Ann Street. Where I had been standing moments earlier.
Only part of the scene is captured on video. I jumped back, spoiling the shot.
I got over it.
VIDEO RETROSPECTIVE OF SUPERSTORM SANDY
(Toggle among videos by clicking playlist button.)
1. Hurricane Sandy Slams Morristown.
2. Roof Blows Off Morristown Courthouse.
3. Morristown Press Conference Sandy Aftermath.
4. Morristown Press Conference Q & A.
5. St. Peter’s Asks for Help.
6. St. Peter’s on News 12.
7. Gas Line on South Street.
8. Sandy Drive in Morristown.
9. Sand Drive Concert at MHS.
10. Morristown Christmas Trees Rebuild Shore.
11. Morristown Boy Honored for Sandy Relief.
12. Hurricane Sandy Devastation in Breezy Point NY.