Support ‘Moms Moving Mountains,’ fighting breast cancer starting on Oct. 6 in Morris Township
By Judy Stein-Loewenthal
Pink ribbons on cars and football players’ uniforms — Breast Cancer Awareness Month is upon us. There are so many awareness months highlighting various causes, what does this designation really mean? At this time, do we truly feel the resonance of those impacted by this devastating disease?
In the past year, two of my friends were diagnosed with breast cancer. Another dear friend is a survivor of six years, diagnosed just shortly after her 35th birthday. The disease struck her even earlier, at the age of 15, when her mom at just 47 years old lost her battle with breast cancer. And, yes, there are aunts and cousins who have battled, some successfully and some not.
As an insufferable optimist, I have to wonder how such pain and loss continues . . . I just want it to stop!!
We can all play a role in combating this illness. This month I challenge each of us to do something to this end. I have joined a group of friends, fierce women who are determined to do their part to have an impact.
We’ve formed a team, Moms Moving Mountains, that will participate in the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer in New York City on Oct. 20 and 21. We are 13 women, some cancer survivors, all strong and willing to walk 39 ½ miles over two days to raise funds for breast cancer research and help low-income and uninsured women get the care they desperately need.
For anyone similarly eager to help combat breast cancer, these here are some easy ways to do so in our area:
- Garage Sale, 15 Wychwood Road, Morris Township, Oct. 6, from 10 am -4 pm. Selling gently used baby and kids clothes, women’s clothes, shoes and bags, bicycles, toys, baby and toddler seats, household items, some furniture, etc. One hundred percent of the proceeds will be donated to research.
- Laboratory Hair Studio, 4 Dehart St., Morristown. From now through Oct. 31, the salon will offer a free pink hair extension to anyone making a $10 donation in support of breast cancer research and awareness.
- Music Together Fundraiser, Temple B’nai Or, 60 Overlook Road, Morristown. Oct. 11 at 9:40 am. Music class for children four years and under. Donation: $20.
- Zumba Fitness Fundraiser, The Madison Community House, 25 Cook Ave., Madison. Oct. 12, 7 pm-8:30 pm. Non-stop 90 minutes of Zumba Fitness led by instructor Mary Massey. Donation: $20. Doors open at 6:30 pm.
- Moms Moving Mountains online fundraising . Go to www.avonwalk.org ; then go to “New York”; and then go to “teams” to enter Moms Moving Mountains. We hope to make Morristown proud as we are a contender to become one of the top 10 fundraisers of the entire NYC Avon Walk.